Monday, September 27, 2010

Something I've learned.


Being in Uganda I have learned a lot. I feel as though perhaps parts of being here have not been as big of an adjustment for me as they are for others since I did live overseas so long, but there are no doubt still struggles. Even though I did live in Morocco, Uganda is a whole other world.

We talked about culture shock in my faith and action class yesterday. I do not think I have had any major culture shock, because I sort of knew what to expect. This does not mean that I love everything, but at least I was mentally prepared. Also, I think that since I have learned how to adapt in other cultures, it comes a little easier for me. At 12 years old I went from living in small town Bedford, Indiana having been only homeschooled, and in Catholic school, to a French public school. Then I went from that European life to being thrown into a Muslim country, going to an American school will all Moroccans. Then on Sunday's I went to church with pretty much all Sub-Saharan Africans.

My life has been a melange of everything. And I love it. And I truly believe that because I had to adjust to so many different cultures, coming here was easy in a sense.

At the same time, I can admit that despite my background of culture, I am still learning alot about people, and myself. Today I was handwashing my laundry and realized even a few small things. One, my clothes are never going to get good clean here, but that is ok. haha. Two, I will probably never take ANYTHING for granted again. Ever. Three, there are a number of things that used to drive me insane, that will likely never bother me again.

I feel so much more relaxed this past month or so than I have in a long time. Thankfully, I have a lot less work this semester. I was writing about 5 essays a week for Social Work back at Valley Forge, and here I do have a lot of reading and I am working over 15 hours a week at my practicum site, but I am so content.

There are a lot of difficulties being here. There are days that are hard, there are days that are easy. There are days that I am homesick for three different places, and there are days where I am just so in love with this place. Even on the days where I kinda want to go home, I love it here. I would not trade the four months that I get here for anything in the world.

The choice I made about a year ago to apply to the Uganda program, and the choice I made to come about 8 months ago, was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I have never traveled to live anywhere outside the United States without my family, and I really missed them being with me in a 'foreign country' at first. However, this is one of the best experiences of my life.

When I was applying I stressed myself out trying to figure out if I should come, but God pulled it all together perfectly, from application process to funds. Even here God has done so much in my life. In every way. When I finally decided to make the choices that were right for me beginning with Uganda and continuing with a number of other choices, that God showed me were right, my life has begun to fall together in ways I never imagined. There are still stresses in my life, and things that still have yet to fall into place, but I am finally learning to let go and trust God, and its making things so much better.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when you were first thinking about doing this! I'm so glad you went! Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is about finding God's will and staying in it. When you are in His will... well you are "IN"... and when you are out... it does not matter what you do or have there is a big HOLE and nothing "clicks". A visiting teacher in Bible school once said to us... "I'd rather be in the Amazon fighting crocodiles with a toothpick "IN" the will of God, than driving down the Houston freeway in a brand new Cadillac "OUT" of the will of God." Sounds like you have had a good taste of being "IN" - "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man (or woman) who takes refuge in him!"

    Stay "IN"
    Love,
    -papa

    ReplyDelete