Thursday, September 16, 2010

Home stays and my practicum site.

First off home stays have gotten much better. Two nights ago the power went out literally the second I finished tea. I thought it would be a bad thing, but it was honestly the best thing that could of happened. All four of the kids climbed up on the couch with me and cuddled up and played hand games and just kinda talked in laughed for like two hours. It was so much fun!! Yesterday at home stay was pretty basic, just showered, had tea, read for class, and had dinner. I did talk to mama (my real host mom.. there was a mix-up) and my host aunt (I think?) to teach me how to make chapati and they said yes this weekend so I am super excited about that.

So my mom mix up. I thought my host mom was Betty. I am still very confused by who is who, and who is married to who, but I am pretty sure I will remain confused. I was in the USP office the other day and was looking at the list of host families and students in them and my host mom's name is actually Jane. Therefore, I think the older woman and man are my ACTUAL host parents, but because the younger woman (Betty) speaks English she is the one who has been 'taking care of' me. I am not sure how she is related to them though. It is all quite odd.

As for my practicum... I went on Tuesday for about 4 hours and then on wednesday for close to 10. It went pretty well. On Tuesdays there is a group of us who go (USE and Social Work) then I go on Wednesday and another Social Work student joins me later. 10 hours is a long time to be there, but it is also nice to be able to get my hours finished up like that.

I am still not sure what I will be doing. On Tuesday we spent a lot of time reorienting because of the people that had not been there before and then played with the kids for awhile. Wednesday I spent time just sitting in a classroom, and I did a lot of typing for them. I have heard that Ugandans have not had a lot of practice and so they like it when other people do the typing. I also served the porridge and lunch. When the other Social Work student came they had her do drawing for them. We both also met up with our field instructor as we have to come up with a 'learning contract' for the semester.

It sounds like I will be doing a combination of literally everything. And when I say everything I mean from filling out profiles on children, going out into the community, helping with the garden, cooking, serving food, helping teachers, reading to blind children and more. It should be interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't comment on this one? And this is like a real post. I can't believe I missed it. I am sorry!

    ReplyDelete