Friday, September 10, 2010

Practicum site, home stays, and bad internet.


On wednesday I got to visit my practicum site which was quite the experience. I am still not 100% sure as to what I will be doing, but I should find out this coming week. The place I will be working at is called CHAIN and is an orphanage (that does not do adoptions). They have about 106 kids that live there and 36 are either blind or partially blind.

I will be going on Tuesdays from 1:30-6 and Wednesday from 8-6 so that I can get my 15 hours in. The other girl that I am going to be going with and I hope to go for one weekend at least as well, but not until after our home stays. I am excited, but nervous about going. It was a lot to take in all at once, and as I am confused about what I want to do later, I hope that this helps. Unfortunately, they do not do adoptions and it will likely be a mix of volunteer and social work, but it will be good experience nonetheless.

This week is also busy as tomorrow we head out for home stays. I am also excited but nervous about this. We are being placed in a Ugandan home for the next two weeks. We will be at school during the day, but we have to be back home at 7 (because it gets dark) and all weekend. It too will be a good experience. I am hoping that they teach me to cook this food of which I cannot remember the name!

I am so sorry I did not post sooner, but we had several power outages that seemed to blow out our internet until a couple of hours ago! Yet another trial of Africa....

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. This home stays sound scary. I would never ever ever do them. Haha.. but alas. I will say that in your confundledness about not knowing whats you want to do, always remember I'm worse off! ;)

    ReplyDelete