Friday, September 10, 2010

The sounds of Africa...


Being here is teaching me alot of things... Things that I am great at handling and things that I am not. Beyond just that, there are just alot of differences from Uganda and the United States and even many differences from Georgia.

One of these big differences is the sounds of Uganda. I truly wish there was a way for me to capture them and bring them home to share. When I get up in the morning my window is near a hill, that has been labeled Monkey Hill. This is for good reason, the monkeys are crazy active and sunrise and sunset, and you can hear them screeching at 7 a.m., which does however make it easier to wake up in the morning! There are also birds. I cannot even tell you what they are, but they have the coolest different noises.. Well some do, others I wish I had a gun so I could shoot them...

Last night I used one of those water warmer uppers that people generally use for their tea, and filled up my bucket for my bucket shower so that it was not freezing at 11 at night when I showered. It was so nice to have hot water. But then as I stuck my head under the faucet to wash my hair and the cold water hit me... I truly realized how much I appreciate the United States. I have taken for granted all the nice conveniences I have. Complained on the few days that the showers were cold from the boys dorms showering. I hated my cafeteria and ate my own food many a time. Now, I am pretty sure than anything in my Caf that did not involve rice, beans, or Matoke I would be thrilled with.

Last night we had an honors college party so we could all get to know each other (the people who came with the program and the students that go here) and we had such a good time. When they pulled out the food there was the regular Matoke, rice, but then there was pumpkin, a tiny bit a pasta, this green bitter stuff, Chipate (my favorite), CHICKEN, sauce, and this other meat, along with a GIANT bowl of fruit, and a soda. It was funny, cause a couple of my friends and I saw it all and were like ecstatic about the food, and then we were talking and realized that if we had ever been served this in the U.S. for any sort of gathering or party at our school we would have been like WHAT are they serving us, and gone back to our rooms to eat.

Life here to me is so different. In some ways it reminds me so much of Morocco and in others it is so very different. I miss my friends from home, I miss my family, and I miss conveniences. Although I do not expect Uganda to completely change my life, or help me figure everything out, but it is helping to shape me, and helping me to appreciate everything I do have sooo much more.

I have alot more to say, but its that time to go get ready for life and home stays.

1 comment:

  1. See? SEE? so I don't ever want to hear about you having not eaten food ever again! And I like monkey's can you bring one of them home for me? That'd be good.

    ReplyDelete