Thursday, September 16, 2010

"You don't put Vaseline in your hair?"


Home stays have gotten so much better. I still do not have the ideal perfect family, like it seems some have, but they are growing on me and I do like them.

Last night my host aunt I believe, came into my room with the baby and the 4 year old girl. They all just sat on my bed and we talked. I showed her the pictures of my family and friends and she is fascinated by my hair. I wash it every night when I get home, but it is so dark that I do not think she has ever noticed. I know the little girl has cause the night the power went out she kept touching it haha. Anyways, my aunt then asked me if I had washed it. I told her yes everyday, or else it gets nasty. She then asked me if I put vaseline on it, I said ohhh no, and she said oh oil then? And I said no no no, haha it would make my hair bad. She then was like, oh ok but when you are at home you do. When I said no for the third time she was so confused. I told her my hair is thinner so you do not need to, but I am still not sure she gets it. She was like so you JUST let it dry? I said yes, and sometimes in the States we use a dryer or a flat iron or curling iron to do stuff with. And the closest thing to oil is mousse or gel to help your hair stay how you want it. She was like oh.... It was so funny, I felt bad for confusing her, I am still unsure if she understood it all.

I am excited for this weekend! They are going to teach me how to cook over an open fire, and specifically how to make Chapati, which also happens to be my favorite thing here! So my dear family is Georgia who I will be spending Christmas with, be prepared for some Ugandan food :)

3 comments:

  1. Don't ever try to cook for me.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try it. Have fun!Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. dave... you would actually like it!

    Nana! I cannot wait to see you all! It is still far off but I miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete