Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mukono and Boda-Boda

(School I go to)


(African Sunset)


So today we got to go into Mukono and walk around. They basically gave us a piece of paper of things to look for, and then to meet up at the Colline Hotel. So we set off to explore. It is a very close walk and we are actually gonna go back in tomorrow to get postage stuff so we can finally mail letters! It was so cool to wander around the city for a little while. I honestly felt quite at home because of living in Morocco, it felt like what I have already been through. It felt like home.

I felt like as we walked more I began to revert to some of the things I did when I lived at home. They tend to drive crazy (and on the left side of the road!) and I found myself crossing the street and ignoring men calling like I did in Morocco. It was so comfortable for me to see the dirt roads, see the little stores (basically hanouts) and see advertisements on the stores who have never heard of the product painted onto their roof.

The shops were so much fun to go into, alot like the Medina in Morocco in some ways. I am so excited about buying fabric to decorate my room with! We also found earring for 1000 shillings which is about 50 cents a pair! (This therefore means that I have already got Becky two gifts... haha) Some things are so cheap, and it made me so excited!

We also went into a supermarket and I found ice cream, pringles, nutella, cadbury chocolate, and coconut crackers. Also, found Mountain Dew which made me laugh.

And I discovered what Boda-Boda meant. I knew that they were the motorcycles that the men ride and that we were forbidden to get one, but they told us the meaning behind the name. Apparently, there used to be an area between Uganda and Kenya that was no man's land that people would keep motorcycles in. They would say that they were in the border (to) border. Because of their accent here it ended up sounding like Boda-Boda, and simply stuck. I know that is random but I thought it was a fun tidbit of information!

I am honestly SO excited to be here right now. I am having so much fun ad I am so so excited to see how the rest goes. I do miss people, but I am so happy to have this experience!!

1 comment:

  1. I will comment on every post. Just so you know.
    It sounds so cool. I do take a little bit of comfort in knowing you lived in Africa before, so I don't need to worry so much! I want a present too, but since I know I'm very hard to get things for, I'll understand! :)

    ReplyDelete