Wednesday, August 25, 2010

In Uganda!

Well, to try and sit here and describe everything that has occurred since monday would be a very long thing to read so I will attempt to keep it short and sweet.
On Monday I went to D.C. saying goodbye to everyone over the past few days has been far from easy and once I got there it all began to really hit me. Goodbyes have never been easy for me and this was no different. I walked into the airport and almost everyone was there waiting. We got checked in and through security will no hassle at all. We ended up having about two hours to just sit and wait to board.
We flew to Amsterdam and the flight there I slept hardly at all, no one did. Then the second flight it was as though we all just passed out. I did get some pictures flying over Amsterdam and entering Africa that I will put up at the end of all of my writing.
We then landed in Uganda. Immigration was extremely easy and they gave us all our visas with no problem at all. We then went out and met people. I could write so much about that first night even though I was exhausted. It was like it all just hit, but was still so surreal. Even now I can hardly believe that I am here.
They showed us to our rooms and I actually ended up in the same dorm as the girl that I made friends with, we got along so well, so that was nice. However, this is also the dorm farthest from the road, so carrying up baggage was not super enjoyable. I am roommates with one of the girls that was actually sitting next to me on my first flight and has the same last name as me. Our room is pretty small. Its got a bunk bed and two closets and one desk that is like spilt in half with two chairs. Its small but once we are all unpacked it will be much better. I wish i has something to put on the walls though its so boring. We unpacked alot of clothes last night, and i got online to let people know I was alive, but was so tired I went to bed about one here. I only got a few hours of sleep before jet-lag hit and I was up.
This morning we got up and had breakfast which was pretty good, and contained fresh pineapple which made me quite happy. We then went to orientation, which was mostly about safety and health today and a few of the rules. I could go on and on about all of this, but I am sure a lot of it would bore. We then went on a tour of the campus. Once those pictures are on my computer I will have some on here and then all on facebook. It is a lot bigger than I expected and we had to walk up a lot of hills, so I should be in super shape by the time I come back to the U.S.
Then we went to lunch which was quite odd. We had mashed plantains and this sort of breed of potato that was a combination of sweet potato and normal potato, which I did not love. Then hey covered it all in the meat sauce which made the mashed plantains taste pretty decent. They were quite filling as well.
That has been the basic of it all so far. I feel like I am in a dream world with all of this, it is so hard to believe that I am actually in Africa. I am so excited. I had a meeting with my Social Work practicum advisor and I should be getting to work in an orphanage, and possibly with their schooling as well.
We have orientation for three more days and then on Saturday we go to Rwanda for a week.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I can't believe you're really there either. :) Sounds like fun already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my internet is AWFUL here, so pictures may be on hold until I hit a good day with it!

    ReplyDelete